Environmental Health and Environmental Justice in Pennsylvania: Where Do We Go From Here?
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has many environmental health issues, which are being addressed by a myriad of researchers and environmental groups. The conference is designed to bring together the science and policy issues relevant to environmental health and provide an opportunity for discussion among groups who are working in this area. The goals of the conference are:
• To highlight key environmental health issues within the commonwealth of Pennsylvania through an environmental justice lens
• To discuss the science and the policy of air pollution, water pollution, cumulative effects of exposure, and fuel transportation safety and their effects on environmental justice communities
• To bring together the Pennsylvania environmental network and collaborate to utilize our strengths, technology and presence.
• To solidify relationships between environmental groups and have these relationships build on each other.
• To identify areas where science can inform policy to improve environmental health
After presentations, attendees will split into four groups and engage in discussion with speakers and other thought leaders on the topics. Actions that can be undertaken collaboratively will be discussed. The discussion groups will compile a list of the most important challenges to environmental health in the four topic areas and ways to address them. All conference attendees will re-convene at 5 PM to share the results of the discussions. Next steps will be discussed.
Please feel free to distribute this flyer to any people or groups that would be interested in attending the conference!
Light refreshments, breakfast and lunch will be served.
The agenda provides the opportunity for learning about environmental health issues and the policies that surround them and a designated time for participants to discuss these issues. The expectation is that by the end of the day, recommendations will be developed regarding policy or actions that would improve environmental protection and public health in Pennsylvania.
Smilow Center for Translational Research
The conference will take place at the Smilow Center for Translational Research. The Center is located at 3400 Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Parking and Directions to Registration
Parking is available in Lot #51 for $15.00 payable upon entry. There is a shuttle available. Take the shuttle to the first stop at Penn Tower. Take the escalator to the first floor. Follow signs for the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine. Continue across the main atrium and enter the West Pavilion. Continue to walk toward the second set of elevators. The conference check-in will be on your right before the second set of elevators.
Cumulative Impacts of Exposure – Marilyn V. Howarth
Cumulative Impacts: Policy Gaps, Communities Response – Amy Laura Cahn
Fuel Transportation Safety – Lynda Farrell
Water Pollution Science: Sources and Treatment – Arthur E. McGarity
Policy Imitates Rainwater Realities – Laureen M. Boles